Are you trying to scout out some super fun things to do in Brisbane with kids?
Don’t worry, we have you covered! As locals, living on the Sunshine Coast, we have experience in taking our three daughters out and about to Brisbane! There are loads of choices of family activities in Brisbane on offer, however these are our favourites and in our opinion they should belong on any ‘Top 5 Fun Places for Kids in Brisbane’ lists! And first up? Of course the amazing family friendly South Bank!
5 Super Fun Things to do in Brisbane with Kids
1. Family Friendly Fun at South Bank!
Photo Credit: Brisbane City Council
South Bank is the perfect spot for a great family day out in Brisbane!! In our opinion it is definitely one of the most fun places for kids in Brisbane itself! With so many choices of activities on offer, you might like to enjoy one of the following:
- Go for a dip and play at Aquativity. A free water park that is patrolled by lifeguards! Perfect!
- Take the kids to burn out some energy at one of the playgrounds (Riverside Green Playground and Picnic Island Playground)!!
- Want something a bit more educational for your kids? Why not take them to the Epicurious Garden. An ‘edible’ garden where both you and the kids can learn more about herbs, flowers, fruits and vegetables. (If you are there on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 7am-2pm you can even grab some yummy free freshly picked produce!)
- Go for a scenic ride on The Wheel of Brisbane. Not only will the kids enjoy the Ferris Wheel experience, but the adults can enjoy some glorious views over Brisbane City and South Bank! Purchase your tickets here!
- And lastly … if you have the time, The Queensland Museum and Science Centre is definitely worth a visit. With loads of hands-on Science activities on offer together with some history in the museum itself, this one is definitely an educational adventure!
2. Explore Roma Street Parkland | Free Family Activities in Brisbane
Photo Credit: bertknot
Roma Street Parkland is an amazing place to visit with your kids; add in the fact that it offers a range of free family activities and is located within the heart of Brisbane and you have a winner!
Fun Things to do with Kids at the Roma Street Parkland:
- Enjoy the Upper Parkland’s playgrounds
- Visit the vegetable garden and the worm farm
- Enjoy a picnic at Celebration Precinct featuring Frangipani Court and associated BBQ areas. The kids will love the large cascading waterfall feature found at Celebration Lawn.
- Enjoy some gorgeous beautiful walks along the many trails that weave throughout the park.
- Hop on board for a 20 minute round trip on the colourful little Parkland Explorer train (Costs a gold coin donation)
Photo Credit: Kim
Which kid doesn’t love to visit our gorgeous Australian wildlife? Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is one of my favourite stops when family or friends from overseas come and visit! They have a lovely park where you can get to know loads of different wildlife. You can even go on a Segway Safari!!!
We absolutely recommend that you make your trip to the Sanctuary a full day excursion. As the park is situated on the River Bank, the most exciting and fun way to arrive at the park is via a river boat cruise of course!! You can find a combined River Cruise and Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary ticket here or if you prefer having access to your car, you can purchase the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary ticket here.
4. Explore Brisbane by Bicycle
I know that my kids love riding on bicycles!!! And in my opinion it is a much better way to explore than trying to do it on foot with kids in tow! Brisbane By Bicycle is a fabulous bicycle tour operator and they offer 4 different bicycle tours. Brisbane by Bicycle morning tour, Essential Brisbane tour, Foodies Aboard, Evening tour to Eat Street Markets and Twilight. They have adults and kids bicycles as well as toddler seats!!
5. Explore the City by using Fun Transport!
Photo Credit: Rae Allen
Brisbane has a fabulous double-decker bus (the Brisbane Explorer) that takes you around for a guided tour through the city! My kids think that anything ‘double-decker’ is just incredible!
Another option is to hop on the free ferry! CityHopper operates between North Quay and Sydney Street ferry terminals stopping at all terminals in between. Another super fun way to explore!
And lastly, there are also free city bus loops! These go around the CBD and operates every 10-15 min during the day! Great way to hop on and off instead of having to drag the kids around on foot!
Family Accommodation, Brisbane:
If you are wondering where to stay in Brisbane with kids; we recommend you start your research on the TFE Hotels website! It is easy to find some great family accommodation in Brisbane by using their handy map! Once you have decided which of the Brisbane kids attractions above you would like to enjoy; you can then choose a hotel that is conveniently situated close to those activities! Perfect!
Over to you:
- Which of the family activities in Brisbane caught your eye?
- Did we miss an activity that you feel deserves a spot on the top things to do in Brisbane for kids list?
Feature Photo Credit: Aristocrats-hat | FLICKR
Disclaimer, this article contains affiliate links as well as a sponsored link. We will be grateful if you choose to support us by using our well researched links! Thanks, you rock!